You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Perfect Marriage?


Today is such a BIG day in the Barron household. There are all kinds of fours rolling around. The Rid-dad is forty-FOUR years old. We have also been a family for FOUR years today. We have FOUR kids and every bit of it is FOR Him. Many friends have joked that Ridley married me on his fortieth birthday so he wouldn't forget our anniversary. When we picked out a wedding date I worried about Ridley's birthday being overshadowed every year. Today, I woke up realizing the two are intertwined and make this day incredibly special for me. To think about the day Ridley was born and that God knew he would be my husband one day, just makes my heart have a party.

On the day Ridley was born, it was like God tucked my present away for years, saving it for when I was ready. It was everything I had dreamed about and waited for. I still get goose bumps every time we share our story and encourage other couples. People we know have commented that we must have "the perfect marriage". Here is a little secret I will share......No one has a perfect marriage. We have our days just like everybody else. We have the highs and the lows. We have the days of victories and the draining days of defeat. Please don't walk around comparing your marriages to other ones. I would prefer that you take the advice of Hebrews 12:2, "Let us fix our eyes on the author and PERFECTER of our faith". Landon just painted a picture yesterday of an eye and chose this verse to paint on her canvas for her room. Shortly after giving her my praise of approval, I walked by a picture in my foyer. It is the picture I have posted here today and it is absolutely my favorite!

This wedding picture catches my eye on my grateful days and on my grumpy days. I am reminded that every step of the way to that day, we both prayed our hearts out. We desperately wanted to make the best choices at the best time. I thank Jesus every time I walk by and count all the blessings in the last four years. I also walk by it on those difficult days and thank Jesus that He put us together and that we did pray. It pushes me to love Ridley better on those tough days because God wants me to. He gave me the incredible privilege of being Mrs. Barron. The fact that God trusts me to be Mrs. Barron, to love Mr. Barron and to be the mamma of the Barron Bunch, is absolutely perfect for me!

I am not perfect. The birthday boy is not perfect. Our marriage is not perfect. However, God is perfect! The fact that I was on God's mind on July 15, 1967 is perfectly okay with me!

1 comment: