You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What Is Going On With This Marriage Stuff?

I don't even want to answer the phone lately. I have received too many calls where I hear devastating news about people I care about. In the last several weeks, I have had five phone calls asking for prayer and encouragement because another marriage is falling apart. A couple of weeks ago I was parked in the Walgreens parking lot when I got one of those calls. My heart fell as I literally covered my mouth in shock. The story sounded all too familiar but the characters were different. It is a story that I only want to share about myself. I never want anyone else to experience. I know they will.

Last week Ridley and I were headed to the airport and my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and I immediately looked over at Ridley. He asked why I wasn't answering the call and I explained that I was afraid to. As I dialed the number back, I began praying that the news or need would be a good one. It wasn't. Adultery had reared its ugly head once again and this time I was mad. After hanging up, I blurted out, "What is going on with this marriage stuff?"

So what IS going on? I know commitment is thrown out the window at the first sign of difficult. I know that Americans have "rights" and maybe that perspective is flowing over into their marriage. Maybe entitlement trumps honesty and integrity. Whatever the case may be, I am praying for marriages to be strengthened. ALL marriages. I am praying for families to heal and be restored. I am praying for husbands and wives to be best friends.

If you find yourself at the window ready to throw your commitment out or you are too tired to try, let me help just a bit. Almost about every man or woman has bills. They all have issues and they have bad days. They all age and their bodies change. The things they own can be gone in a minute. I say that to simply say, if you think replacing your spouse with someone else is a better life ....you couldn't be more wrong. You are just starting the cycle all over again. The Bible says in Proverbs 5:32, "But a man (or woman) who commits adultery, lacks judgement; whoever does so destroys himself.

Love your wife. Love your husband. Fight for your family. Choose to do the right thing. A selfish decision can bring self destruction. Proverbs 5:32 says so.

1 comment: