You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, February 12, 2010

To All the Single Ladies...(and Men)

Now before you think this blog post isn't for you, think again. Even if you are not single, I am sure there are single people you know who could use your prayers. I am referring to all the singles. I have friends that are single and waiting for just the right person. I have friends that are single again, whether they wanted to be or not. Then there are single friends who have lost their spouses. None of these situations are easy. It sure isn't easy on Valentine's weekend. I remember!

When I was a single mom, I dreaded the whole month of February. All the fuss of flowers, candy, sweet cards, ooey gooey romantic moments and those "every kiss begins with Kay" commercials. I remember my first single (again) Valentine's holiday. I found myself in Toys R Us in between my work appointments, trying to find something for my youngest daughter that wasn't sugar. There she was! Barbie--all packaged with her Ken--and hearts everywhere. She had this big smile on her face. The glare I was giving that plastic girl must have prompted the Toys R Us employee to ask, "Can I help you?" "Yes", I replied. "Where is the hard working, single mom Barbie?" The employee in his little red vest then asked, "Did you see that in our flyer?"

So this week, as I have prayed for my single friends, I have prayed they not one of you would settle. Here is the verse you need to cling to. Isaiah 43:18 and 19
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a NEW thing."
It says He is DOING a new thing. You are right in the middle of a cool God plan. Don't you dare give up or settle for anything less than God's best.

This week, three years ago, I had my first date with Ridley. Yes, it ended up being in the month that I had dreaded for several years. It was an extremely cold night as he was driving me to my house. After freezing on my doorstep, Ridley asked if he could come in. I literally let him in 2 steps inside my door. Our first date had been great, but I was setting my boundaries. Every kiss may begin with Kay but it wasn't going to begin with Lisa. Then, my heart popped out. Ridley asked, "Do you mind if I pray with you before I go?" I immediately fell into his arms and put my head on his shoulder as I began to cry. In that moment, I got the sweetest Valetine gift from Jesus. For a few minutes, I did not have to be the strong leader in my house.

My friends, take heart! God is doing a new thing and you will not have to settle. He has His eye on you and loves you. He is singling you out for something great!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, THANK YOU!!!!! That's all I've got, just THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed to hear that today too. Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blog! I absolutely LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE everything about this post :) So sweet.

    ReplyDelete