You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, February 1, 2010

Branching out

First, I want to thank you for your patience with email subscription to my blog. I have it corrected and you can sign up now over to the right of this entry.
______________________________________
I got a call a couple of days ago that was unexpected but a blessing. My mother-in- law called in the middle of the day and actually caught me working from home. I have to admit I was a little worried that she was calling to tell me that our Aunt Doris, who has been ill, had pasted away. I was suprised when she started asking me questions about my family. I thought to myself, it was a little too late to be doing background checks since Ridley and I have been married about two and a half years. Then I thought maybe she was testing my memory when she started asking about middle names of my great grandparents. She stopped and explained that she was doing research for a family member who is working on the family tree.

I was blown away at the thought of being on their family tree. My new extended family has embraced me and loved me in amazing ways. Tears gently flowed down my cheek as I remembered a verse in my Bible. It was on the left page, somewhere in the New Testament and I knew my blue ink had scribbled "Japan Home Church- June 2006". I can't always remember where certain scripture is located but I love to write in my Bible! I immediately recalled a Sunday service I was a part of in Japan while on a mission trip with my daughter, Morgan. After our phone conversation, I immediatley searched and found what I was looking for.

The verse is in John 15 where Jesus is explaining the analogy of the vine and the branches. Verse 2 says "He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful".
While in Japan, I remember comparing this pruning to my past marriage. I knew that my marriage had not been bearing fruit the way God intended and I remember thinking about how my family tree at that time had stubs for branches. I felt like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in that moment. There were extended family relationships that had grown over all those years and they were suddenly cut out of my life as well.

Although I do not have a green thumb, I know that branches are cut back to promote growth. God must do that sometimes in our life to strengthen our character and our faith. It may not look pretty for a while but the end result ends up being beautiful.
I firmly believe that can only happen when we allow Him to do the pruning. We can not get to clipping on our own or the timing might not be right. That is why in John 15 it states in verse 1 "my Father is the gardener".

My sweet mother-in-law apologized at the end of her call for not knowing certain information about me. Little did she realize that her call had me once again humbly overwhelmed at God's goodness. Looking back, little did I know that day in June of 2006, that almost a year later, I would have new growth that would turn out this beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful.....thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful writing! i am so proud of you and what God is doing in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious, precious story! Thank you for sharing....I know what you mean about writing in your Bible, and knowing where to find it. You know, I have a verse in my Bible with the initials RHB next to it...reminding me of God's ever watchful eye and loving arms. Someone very special shared those verses with me a long time ago when I was sad. Later, I was able to pray the same verses for my friend. Isn't God awesome? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Lisa!! You and your beautiful girls are part of our family, just like all the others! And I hope you enjoyed your FIRST visit to the big metropolitan area of Colquitt, GA. We all LOVE you.-- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa~ You KNOW how much I love this post. AND..i also totally promote writing in your Bible...I love to see God working on fertile soil...you got fruit springing up everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete