You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, February 19, 2010

Baseball tips for life

Ridley recently coached our son's baseball team and I learned a lot. I enhanced my baseball skills by being married to the coach. I learned to keep the stats while using the "clicker" to keep up with the pitch count. I even learned to rake the field and use the chalk machine. I knew the rules and some of the lingo so I was excited to test my ESPN skills as a team mom. Watching my husband's love for baseball and encouraging young men, was a super cute bonus.

I must be honest. It can be really hard to stay feminine and Christ like when in the heat of baseball. I found myself wanting to yell at the umpire or wanting to jerk a knot in someone else's kid who had an attitude. There was even a time or two I heard my own voice (much deeper) coaching the boys from the bleachers. It was easy to fall into the moment and forget to keep my stats or pitch counts.

That's a lot like life. My spiritual vision can get clouded. This week had a rough start for me and my spiritual vision was no where close to 20/20. With selfishness, false expectations and fear, my vision got a little fuzzy. Funny how, when that happens, things seem much worse than they really are. Bring on the overwhelming feelings of life!

Matthew 6:22 and 23 says "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness." Interesting that the eye has that kind of power. Not the ears, not the tongue and not even the heart. Today is still today and tomorrow will still be tomorrow, but being full of light means seeing life at its best - abundantly! The responsibility is on me and how I look at things. I sure wish that was easier to do sometimes. I have learned that it takes training and I don't need to beat myself up each time I lose focus. I need to accept that I may not be who I want to be in Christ yet, but that I am no where close to who I used to be. I just need to get back up to bat and keep learning. Praise God that His mercies are new each morning! As I get my focus back on Him and listen for my instructions, I pray He will respond with "Good eye, Lisa.....Good eye".

2 comments:

  1. Funny that the eye is the "lamp of the body" and the body is "full of light if the eyes are good?" Don't lamps normally "Put off light" instead of take it in? And yet for some reason...our eyes are supposed to take in light and be a lamp...so..."Careful little eyes what you see," cause those eyes affect the entire body...both taking in and going out!

    ReplyDelete