You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Are You Talking in the Hall?

During the week, Ridley and I may pop in to visit at the school where our church meets. We have friends that are teachers and a few kids we like to check on. The sights, sounds AND smells take me back every time. I find myself saying, "Surely I didn't do that". Our visits seem to typically occur around the lunch time hours. The halls are full of those single file lines. You know, the ones with the teacher leading and the kids battling the urge to stray out of the line. Lunch boxes are swinging. Boys are picking on girls and the class clown is the free entertainment.

Yesterday, I received an encouraging email from a dear friend and lover of the Word. The verse she shared was from Isaiah 43:19, "See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." I have read that many times and I love the part about doing a new thing. That in itself has been a huge encouragement to me over the years. However, yesterday, the second part spoke to me more. "Do you not perceive it?" My translation..."Lisa, why are you whining and being so stubborn?" The verse goes on to say "I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland". Trust me, I want God to make the way because mine often stink and yes, I definitely want His way when I am in the desert.

So why do I do that thing? That thing where I question and whine DURING the way. I was reminded of those school hallways and how I am like those students. I won't just stay in the line and follow the Teacher. I mean even when I know I am headed somewhere really cool and exciting (recess or lunch), I still don't keep my mouth shut. I am even in the line picking on the boy (Ridley) at times. Can't you picture Jesus turning around and giving me the "shhhhhh" as He puts His finger to His mouth?

The lesson for the class today.....embrace the seasons we are in and the seasons He is leading us into. The hall is where we have to practice our discipline and faith. It will definitely keep us out of trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa...Wow! I have had my little bound index card book open today on my desk at work open to my handwritten verse of Isaiah 43: 18-19. What a reminder that so many of us are on a similar path. Often times we hide, afraid for others to see the "real" us, for what would they think? what would they say? My prayer is that my mind and heart are focused on Jesus. And YES! I am reminded to "shhhhhhh" too! I love you...and look forward to seeing you on Sunday. Have a blessed rest of the week. Linda Kay Cloyd

    ReplyDelete