You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What Do I Do Now?

Why is it there are some days that seem perfect and some days that just go so wrong? I don't believe any one person wants to wake up and have a no good, feel bad, all wrong-kind of day. There are those days where you wonder how in the world the day before could have been so good as you stand immobilized by the mess of a new day.

You know the days where one unexpected something pops up and throws the whole course of the day and your attitude in a different direction. Maybe it is the washing machine that breaks or a fight with your kids. Maybe a family member has been diagnosed with a terminal health issue. Maybe it is a pair of jeans that don't fit or a husband that speaks harsh words that cut into your self esteem. Or how about a denied credit card as you stand in the grocery line to buy diapers. There might be addictions revealed or gossip that makes your stomach sick. The list could go on and on. Some of those moments can literally leave you disappointed or weary to a point that you try to decide if you really want to "do this" anymore. The conversations begin in your head as you "talk yourself off a ledge". Sometimes I find myself or a friend at that point where you question why even put forth the effort if these kind of days continue to pop up. Typically the question I can almost hear myself whisper is, "Now what?"

I can't speak for men, but I think for a lot of women when we find ourselves in that "now what" moment, we suddenly want to look long term. We can take that instant fear, doubt or discouragement and start to project and cast a vision statement for our life for the next five years. We can picture ourself standing at a fork in the road as if the next decision isn't just a step, but it is a leap into our future. However, when a great day happens, we just simply relish the day for what it is and enjoy it. Nothing else is on our mind.

A little over a week ago I was on the phone with a woman who was desperate. As she explained her situation, I found myself lacking words of encouragement or wisdom. I must admit, her situation seemed bleak and I didn't want to throw out advice as if I had all the answers. Then came the dreaded question. "Now what do I do, Lisa?" I replied with a simple answer...."I don't know". The next thing I spoke out loud was a statement I have used on myself numerous times since then. I told this woman, "Do the next right thing you know to do". It sounded too simple with little hope for success. The truth is, it works! It is obtainable for any person in any situation. It doesn't require an unrealistic amount of energy when life has just sucked the energy and joy out of you.

If we read about King Jehoshaphat in 2 Chronicles, Chapter 20, we find that Jehoshaphat receives a message that a vast army is marching against him and headed his way. That probably made for an unexpected bad day. "Jehoshaphat was terrified and begged the Lord for guidance" (verse 3). "He prayed" (verse 6) and I think that is one of the best "next right things to do". Then one of the men had the Spirit of the Lord come upon him and he said, "Listen, King Jehoshaphat! This is what the LORD says: Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s." (verse 15). Then he continues with direction from the Lord, "Tomorrow, march out against them. You will find them coming up through the ascent of Ziz at the end of the valley that opens into the wilderness of Jeruel.(verse 16) But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD’s victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the LORD is with you!” (verse 17).

I love that these verses instruct Jehoshaphat about what to do tomorrow (twice) and that is it. The Lord doesn't give direction for the next five years. Along with the advice about the next right thing to do, is the reminder that the battle is not ours, but God's and He is with us. So if you find that today hits you hard or tomorrow has an unexpected moment that pushes you to a point where you are too zapped to respond, just do the next RIGHT thing you know to do!

2 comments:

  1. I love this...
    you know I do.
    I appreciate your wisdom so much!
    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, THANK YOU for your affirmation! This has been my ambition. It's not been easy, but it's been worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete