You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hissy Fit!

This past weekend I started a big hissy fit. This is normally not a good thing to witness in children and is never fun when adults are involved. Mine was necessary! When your husband is challenging the whole church to get in the Bible and read it all the way through in 90 days, that can sure make satan mad.

I love to share/teach God's Word in a way that sticks. A way that kids will learn that it is truly living and active and a way that adults can remember it when in the middle of junk. For example, when The Word tells us to take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5), I translate that to mean "trap the crap". Satan wants nothing more than to get in my thoughts and repeat those lies that take me back to my past. When I share with my husband, Ridley, what those triggers are, he learns to recognize them and will look me in the eye and say "trap the crap". I instantly remember my responsibility to take every thought captive.

In praying about marrying Ridley, I knew the warfare was going to be taken to a new level as a pastor's wife and I needed to be ready, willing and equipped to fight. Right off the bat, during Ridley's preaching I would hiss during the parts that reminded me of the enemy. Finally, he came to me and asked what I was doing during his sermons. It had just become a habit of mine in an effort to always be aware that satan is very real. Now I can hear an occasional hissing during a sermon and realize my friends are catching on. Poor Ridley.

Last night something was going on in my house that must have had me in a fit. The transition between the corporate world during the day and coming home to start my momma responsibilities can be challenging for me. My youngest daughter, Landon, whispered "Momma!" and then she hissed at me while showing me her version of my snake hand (picture making a shadow puppet on the wall of a serpent). I immediately stopped, smiled at her and whispered a thank you back to her.

Some might say we give Satan too much credit. Ephesians 5:15 & 16 reminds us "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." As the army of the Lord, I believe we must be able to recognize the enemy when he is at work. Genesis 4:7 says "sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it".

Satan is not welcome in my house. He can crouch all he wants at my door but I am going to teach my children to recognize the traps of our enemy. I want them to stand firm in the battle and even have a hissy fit to remind their mom that she doesn't need to invite him in for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment