You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Thursday, January 14, 2010

The rest of the story....

After reading my very first post, a few people have asked me about the rest of the story. How does a girl go from the kitchen floor, with her world falling apart, to being a pastor's wife? JESUS! Yes, you are getting the Jesus answer because only He can turn ashes into beauty (Isaiah 61:3).

In speaking to women's groups, I tell them what I have been telling my girls for years. "Let Jesus be your boyfriend". The world wants to tell us we aren't anything without a man. That is a lie that even Christian ladies tend to believe. I come across more women that are desperately trying to find a man to fill a void. Their tongues profess they know Jesus should be the center of their life, but their hearts long for that prince charming. God's Word says in Psalm 146:3 "Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." Believe me, I know the loneliness, the fear, and the loss of more than just a husband. Through my divorce I lost friends, an extended family, and a career partnership I had invested in. I was scared to death and my heart was about to explode. Deep down I knew I only had two options at that point. I could let it tear me down or let it transform me. I decided the only way to heal my heart was to go to the One who made it and knew it best. It is ok to be mad at God. He can handle it.

Three months after my husband (at that time) left, I was jogging with my best friend and as we passed a nearby house. She asked me to pray for the pastor who lived in that house. She had taught his son, Harrison, at school. Harrison's family was in a car accident. He lost his mom and then lost his 17 month old brother several days later due to a medical error at the hospital. I passed that house on my way to work for the next 3 years and prayed for that single dad whose life probably was a little similar to mine. Then I happened to meet his sister and brother-in-law in a cooking class (of all places). I was a third wheel on a date once again with my married friends. But I instantly knew God was "cooking" up something when I found out who they were.

I married that single dad/pastor on July 15, 2007 and I continue to be humbly overwhelmed by the story that God is writing for us. If I had tried to orchestrate the steps of my journey myself, I would have missed all He had for me. He sure can write the story better than I can. God's timing really is worth the wait, even when it is hard.

Are you letting Him write your story or are you arm wrestling Him for the pen?
I found great comfort during those years alone in Hebrews 6:12. "We do not want you to become lazy but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised." Notice it mentions "faith and patience" together. When both are running thin, do not become lazy or tired. Get in the Word and read His promises. They are coming.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lisa. I needed this today!! I keep saying I am letting God have my pen and then I keep trying to "highlight" the parts that I want Him to write about. Hands off the pens and highlighters for me!! Thanks girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete