You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jeopardy

Since my last entry, a lot has happened. Flooding in this area not only increases the work of the church but also the work of a realtor. People and homes are the focus of both of those parts of my life. I have always centered my real estate profession around the people with the house as a secondary focus. Some realtors can tend to focus on the material aspect of the industry and not the heart of the clients we represent.

Yesterday, I woke up and in my prayer time with Ridley I remember asking God to orchestrate the steps of my day. Mondays can be crazy for me. I woke up with the focus of devastation in our community, my kids home from school, and a closing I was supposed to have. My heart was immediately divided. That is the hardest part for me as a working mom and pastor's wife. Midway through the day, I forgot that I had already asked God to orchestrate my steps. I made several trips up and down the interstate and was on the phone all day trying to make my closing happen. When flooding occurs, you can't imagine the things that can pop up that affect a closing. I had two families with belongings on moving trucks that were counting on my closing happening.

As I made the 6th trip back down interstate, I heard myself playing Jeopardy with God. I quickly got wrapped up in what I wasn't able to do instead of what I was doing. I didn't understand how my running up and down the road was blessing anyone. My husband was wading through water to help victims of the storm and I felt my time was not being well spent. The game show began.....I was giving God all the answers and wanting Him to rewrite the questions. In turn, He was simply wanting me to be His answer without asking any questions.

At the end of the day, I had to work hard to correct my attitude. I believe God desires for each of us to be His answer in different ways. He doesn't need us to determine what that looks like. He just needs us to be willing. He is big enough to decide how we need to be used. Each one of us play an important part in what each day looks like. We can't get wrapped up in the comparison game. I may have been the only one that was meant to focus on those two families yesterday.

Today, I am not playing games with God. I am trusting that His plan is best and my obedience is worthwhile, regardless of what He ask me to do. I am not going to Press My Luck because I know the Price is Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment