You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shiny Love

Each day we are encouraged to start with a daily devotional. We hear those words and think of our grandmother's Guidepost or Chicken Soup For The Soul that is in her guest bathroom. This morning I looked up the word "devotion" to see exactly how it would be described. I found "ardent love" and "commitment to some purpose". So then I looked up ardent. I found "glowing or shining like fire". Shining Love. I like that, but let's be honest, our love is not always so shiny.

Each year, Ridley and I pick out a devotional book to read together to start our day in God's Word and in prayer. Picking out the book is a process that we do together. I love that Ridley doesn't walk into Lifeway Bookstore, pick up the first book he sees and then bolts to the checkout. He scans the pages, checks out the author, asks me my opinion and we both have to feel it is a good selection. We have had some great books and some interesting ones. This year, I was a little surprised that we have both chosen the devotional book that goes along with The Love Dare. I admit, I wondered if I would be challenged much because I love my husband dearly and seriously, it is 365 days of LOVE. Then the Holy Spirit does what He does best and gets ALL in my business and it is just January 20th. This devotional book has already given me new eyes to see love in new ways and not just in my marriage.

The world screams, "Love if you feel like it". "Love if he or she pays attention to you". "Love if they look like you". "Love if they make you feel comfortable". "Love if they have money". In the Bible, John 13 paints this beautiful picture of Jesus having one last meal and intimate moment with His disciples. In an effort to show "shiny love", He washes the disciples feet. Do you understand the love behind that gesture? That was normally a servant's job. Not to mention there were probably some dusty, nasty, feet in desperate need of some exfoliation. Jesus chose in that moment to teach humility and service. Then in verse 34 Jesus says, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another." Notice He said, "you must".

Let's face it....life gives us plenty of opportunities to be offended. I just read in one of my email devotionals that being offended is a choice. Not an easy one, but we are encouraged in Proverbs 19:11 when we read, "The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, and his GLORY is to OVERLOOK a transgression.” I love the choice of the word "overlook". It doesn't mean pretend it isn't there. It doesn't mean it will feel good. It simply challenges me (us) to look past it and to show "shiny love". It becomes a teachable moment when we take difficulties and make them opportunities. That is truly being the "hands and feet (dirt and all)" of Jesus. He did it first, so it should be our devotion to make it our turn.

Silly me, to think my love didn't need any polishing! Be shiny today.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! I'm guilty of that too... thinking I have my stuff all together and then getting a reality check that perhaps, just MAYBE... I'm not loving EVERYONE. Good post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete