You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Black and White

Here is a Lisa fun fact: I play the piano. Now before you start trying to get me to come play at your party, please understand it is simply a "for fun" hobby. I absolutely love the sound of the piano. It is all my uncle Greg's fault. The guy can play the piano! Growing up, my uncle Greg was a hero of mine. I loved going to Virginia to visit my family but some of my favorite memories are of sitting on the piano bench with my hero. I was amazed. When the bench was empty, the piano just looked like black and white keys that were patiently waiting for attention. However, I knew the passion my uncle could put into that instrument and the incredible passion that came out with every note.

I tackled piano lessons myself. I was driven by the example Greg had set for me. I longed to learn the names of the keys. I wanted to know how the left hand did its own thing while the right hand moved in the other direction. I wanted to move beyond Chopsticks and get to the good stuff. There were moments the learning went to slow. There were moments the practicing was no fun. There were those moments I cringed when my mom made me practice and invest in what I had committed to do. Ugh! Then came the recitals. I remember the feeling of wanting to throw up. Would I play with the confidence that I had in the privacy of my own living room?

The last several days I have thought about my old piano. Then I began to visualize how the piano reminds me of my relationship with Jesus. I always knew a piano was called a piano long before I touched the first key. It looked just like black and white keys until I learned more about it. Then after I spent some time studying the piano, the keys began to take shape and meaning. I recognized them by name. The more I learned, the more I was able to make prettier sounding music.

Jesus is patiently waiting for all of us to stop, get close, and learn about Him. He wants us to sit down, listen and give Him a try. It isn't enough to just walk by and recognize Him. He longs for us to grow passionate for Him and to allow Him to be passionate through us. He waits for us to model it for others so they want to learn. Yes, there are times where the learning goes slower than we would like. There are those moments that make us cringe because we need to invest a little more in our commitment to Him. Then are the really big moments where we want to throw up as we live more boldly by witnessing to others. We can only hope to have the same confidence in sharing Him as we do living for Him behind closed doors.

Don't walk by Him one more day and just recognize Him. It isn't enough! Get to know Him. Practice putting Him into your life. It doesn't have to start out as a grand recital. It can be a quiet moment in your living room on a bench. What appears to be intimidating can be absolutely beautiful. With mistakes and all, you can make some of the most beautiful music in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment