You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, July 19, 2010

Crunchy Leaves

One of the things I love is to take God's Word and make it real for today. I think readers of the Word can look at it like a history book but lover's of the Word look at it as an instruction book. When the Word comes to life in a child, it is exciting. I don't mean "comes to life" in the form of artwork on your refrigerator. I mean their words and their responses are scripture lived out.

I have been known to throw salt at my children while telling them to be salt and light to the world (Matthew 5: 13 & 14). My girls run around chanting about being fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). Our trash can reminds them to not throw away their confidence (Hebrews 10:35) and our master bedroom door says "children always obey your parents. For this pleases the Lord" (Colossians 3:20). I love that because I can just point to it. Ha ha!

Get creative! You can really embarrass them at the bus stop when you yell at them to make sure they have their shield and breastplate on. Boy, I can still see Morgan's evil looks from years ago. It was hardly a look that complimented her armour of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:10-17)

It has now become a complete family embarrassment at times. My competitive husband was playing on the church softball team last week. Ridley is very knowledgable and talented when it comes to sports, so as his prayer partner, I pray in advance for the umpires. Well, a bad call was tempting Ridley's tongue so I yelled for him to be smelly. All eyes were off my husband and onto me with total confusion (your welcome, dear). I was reminding him to be the aroma of Christ (2Corinthians 2:15).

On of my absolute favorites was the day I sent Morgan and Landon out the door to school when they were younger. I yelled out to them to have fruit. We had been studying about the individual fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22 & 23). You almost can't read them without singing them. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self controoooool. After a long day, I greeted the girls back at the door. One of my first questions was "Did you have fruit?" They knew I wasn't asking about the school lunch menu for the day. Morgan beamed as she responded, "Yes. I did". Sweet Landon tucked her chin down a bit and rolled her eyes up to me and responded, "I did not. I had crunchy leaves." I absolutely loved it. I mean, I didn't love that she had been "crunchy" but I loved that she got it!

To this day, I challenge myself with the question of whether or not I had crunchy leaves by the end of the day. I have even overheard my close friends ask the question. God's Word shouldn't scare us. It is the best book ever. It challenges us, give us hope, refreshes us, makes us feel loved, makes us laugh, makes us cry, and pushes us to be better. Be careful! It is contagious. It made me smile to hear my husband pray over me on our anniversary, thanking Jesus that I was fruit salad.

Have fun with God's Word. It makes the day so much better!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Lisa! I've seen your trash can and I stopped myself when I was about to throw away my napkin. I thought "oh this must be important..I better read it" and it WAS(very important) I will never forget it. We have a family chalk board that we use for our spiritual reminders and I hope the kids always remember it as a part of our home. Ask them sometime how I woke them up as little ones...and sometimes even now :)

    ReplyDelete