You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's All In a Waffle

It is no secret that economic times are tough. It is no secret that real estate has been tough and continues to be tough. I told someone this weekend that our good years still outweigh the rough couple of years we have had with market conditions. I have been extremely blessed in my career. During those "good" years, I LOVED to bless others!!! Every house sold meant that I had new opportunities to love on someone else.

Ridley has the same heart but you can imagine our frustration right now with a pastor's salary and a realtor's earnings. In the past, my prayer used to be "God, show me who should be next" and not too long ago my prayer was "God, why aren't you doing more so we can help out more?" Looking back, I can see the selfishness and limitations I was expressing to God.

Recently, I feel like Jesus is saying to me, "Get over yourself". "Look around". "Use your resources and don't worry about the money." I honestly think it may have become too easy to just financially help someone. I think He has me in a place where I am learning to be a better blessing with my time and my resources. As I have prayed for a greater awareness, the enemy hasn't been too far behind trying to tempt me with worry about our finances or even with selfishness as I try to justify some stupid material item that I think I "need". Our oldest daughter came home from being a counselor at a kid's camp this past week. She came home with dirty laundry and another Compassion International child. That makes three that our family sponsors. My immediate response was "We didn't talk about this first". As if the Holy Spirit needs my approval first. With some of the wisest words, she looked at me and said, "I think I can give up something for this little girl." As she flashed the card in front of me, I was disgusted with my initial reaction. That is where God has me. I am in the "give up something" stage of learning. My comfortable spot was to attain more so I could give more.

So Jesus is slowing teaching and preparing my heart. It is amazing to me that I used to be ok (comfortable) having some of the things that I have. Now, I am in a place where certain things in my home make me sick. It is a process that I believe Ridley and I are slowing weeding through. We are looking at everything in our life with new eyes. This weekend was no exception.

Two weeks ago as Ridley grabbed my hand to walk out of the worship service like we always do before everyone is dismissed, I walked by a somewhat familiar face. The woman was sitting all by herself. The routine of a Sunday morning flashed in front of me. We are supposed to go stand in our usual spot to greet people....right? I immediately pulled my hand from Ridley and headed back to the woman. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do. I went back and as her eyes were tightly shut, I thought I just don't want her to be standing here alone. Her face looked as if she was trying so hard to hang on. I placed my hand on her back and her eyes opened as tears flooded her face. I didn't know her story and I didn't even know what to pray for her. I simply told her I was here for her. Later I learned that she is a single mom of two kids and recently left an abusive boyfriend. In the middle of our church, she looked at me and said, "I feel so alone". Having been a single mom before who was surrounded with loved ones, I knew what she meant. I was reminded that our experiences are never wasted. I knew immediately a few things I could start praying for her.

Fast forward to this week....I watched for my new friend as service started this past Sunday. At the last minute, I saw her and her two kids walking down the road to our church. When she came in, she said, "I had every excuse to not be here today. I don't have any gas for my car." She smiled and walked into service. After church, I told her we would take her and her children home. As we all piled in Ridley's truck, I sat in the back with the kids. The young boy sat next to me with his sister in my lap. I asked him questions and found out he LOVES waffles. His sister informed me that they don't get waffles very often but they think they are the best food ever. My heart sank. My initial reaction was to go buy these kids 18 boxes of waffles. In that moment, I realized that little boy appreciated the simple things and was content with what he had. I was jealous. As we dropped them off, I wondered exactly what God wanted me to do for this sweet family. My heart was aching. The mom turned around and asked this...."Do you think sometime this week I could walk to the church office and meet you to go over some parts of scripture I don't understand?" I immediately said "YES".

I can't tell you how much I have thought about waffles and what God was showing me. As I went to the grocery and pulled back into my garage, I was working on "getting over myself". I can see God all in my face telling me if there is someone hungry enough to walk to church then I can be hungry enough to let go of things that really don't matter. I need to appreciate the simple things in my life and be content with my few boxes of waffles that are in my freezer.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hear that call to be content when I see the faces in the photos from other traveling families. I concentrate on the dirty faces, the too big or too small shoes, the boys wearing pink and lace and I think I could just pack a giant suit case full of clothes, shoes and washcloths... but then I see their faces. Little boys wearing pink and lace are smiling and laughing while playing with a block. Not blocks.. A block. Little girls playing with naked baby dolls - smiling! They know what it is to be content for sure. Now if WE could just get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Lisa! God is teaching our family the same things, and honestly - it's so freeing (not always easy, mind you - but freeing nonetheless). I'm thankful for what God's teaching you (us), and I'm thankful that you took the time to share it!

    ReplyDelete