You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Set a Guard

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord" (Psalm 141:3). PLEASE...I am driving by a Krispy Kreme. So the prayers begin!

I probably get picked on the most about my love for healthy food. Let me just start by saying right now that it isn't always because it is my absolute favorite but, the way I feel is. By the time I started dating Ridley, I was just about completely organic with the things that really mattered. I assure you I didn't wake up one day with an urge to eat flaxseed. It was a process over time and it actually started when I was running and cycling because I recognized that it helped with my endurance and performance. It got me thinking about how it would probably help me endure the demands of the day and my health would benefit. I also have a daughter that has lots of allergies.

Now, back to the dating days. Organic chick meets microwave roast beef, single dad. Ridley was doing a great job of taking care of Harrison and Abby, but I will never forget some of our first meals together. If my girls and I were at Ridley's they would look at me with a "do you approve for us to eat this?" look. I still laugh at Harrison when he sat down at the table and said, "Are you serious? Organic ketchup?" As with any blended family issue, we have had to meet in the middle....SLOWLY. I must say that Morgan and Landon probably had it a little easier. They had hope that they were back in the land of the living. I am most proud of Harrison and Ridley. They have made huge changes that are paying off. Harrison has lost 40 pounds since we have been married. Ridley has lost weight, lowered his blood pressure and eased some pain that comes with aging after sports.

It has been fun for me to find the things that Harrison and Ridley love and to make a healthier version of it. Harrison has made drastic changes and sometimes will even admit he feels much better. He can tell a difference in his sport performance and with the chicks. I am even amazed at the difference and I love him for being willing. Ridley now preaches about salads instead of fried catfish sandwiches. Some would say I am over the top with it all, but I say, I have only had my new family for 3 years and I want them around for a long time.

When people inquire about why I feel the need to eat healthier, I have learned that they assume it is because I want to lose weight. That is when I usually hear that they don't think I need to or they worry about my intentions. I will be the first to justify a splurge, but it is with moderation. I used to be overweight and sick quite a bit. I began to see and feel the difference with some simple changes. The more I have researched and learned, the more I want to change. Recently, I have had to modify my diet and exercise to deal with hormone changes. This is a very real problem for women as they age and too many people want to brush it under the rug.

The Barron's have kingdom work to do. We are putting our running shoes on and running the race. Paul refers to running or racing at least nine times in the Bible. I love that analogy. So just as we can be a couch potato in the physical sense, I believe we can be couch potato Christians as well. There should be a balance with our physical health and our spiritual health. Small steps daily can produce changes that become habit in both areas. A simple quiet time each morning gets the day off better and a nice walk while listening to worship music will lower your stress level and make the neighbors wonder about you when you raise your hands during the chorus. I love to mix my physical exercise with my spiritual exercise. I pray while riding the bike or I journal while I eat lunch so that I eat slower. There are lots of times when I am weight training and wait training. The bottom line is we are the ones in control of our physical and spiritual health.

Here are some super easy tips that I suggest:
1. Drink a glass of water the minute you get up and about 30 minutes before you ever eat. This cleans out your system before you start to put food in your body for the day.

2. Stay away from soft drinks. If you are like me and love bubbles, then use club soda in juice every now and then.

3. Get away from the processed foods with hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. These are usually boxed or bottled items so start to read labels. Fake food is bad! Square crackers aren't supposed to be orange.

4. Find fun ways to eat fruits and veggies. Add some chocolate and nuts to a cut up banana. It is still better for you than a candy bar. You don't have to be drastic with your changes.

5. Exercise! Do something. You don't have to be doing P90X (even though it is great) to be effective. Just walk each day!

6. Add ground up flaxseed to just about anything. It doesn't have a taste but the punch is so good for your body.

7. Pray your way through the temptations. Donuts are a huge weakness for me so the Hot Now sign screams Pray Now, for me.

8. Find easy and quick healthy options. There are many resources that have recipes with just a few ingredients. I will gladly share picky eater recipes if you want some.

9. Watch the portions and the salt. This means don't eat out much. America is super sizing everything and covering it with salt.

10. Sleep! Ridley has taught me lots about sleep and I do feel better. I was a stay up late and get it done but I found the dirty dishes and laundry are still there in the morning. They aren't going anywhere.

I would love to hear your tips and hints. It is fun to share. Regardless, make one simple change today for your physical and spiritual health. You will feel better for it.

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with ya, Lisa. It has always been a big deal to me, but it became an even bigger one when my dad was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. At first I thought Reagan was gonna lose it :) but you are right- slow change is the key... and for him, substituting sugar with Agave Nectar has been a big help in getting him to cut out a lot of sugary drinks! It's a start. Way to go for speaking up about it! Christians find it easy to talk about tobacco and alcohol when discussing the body being a temple, but fast food needs to be just as big as an issue! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a chance to read this, but I agree, sis! I've found that making eating right more convenient at home has made a huge difference. I try to keep the great tasting alternatives on hand and I've found that the apples and oranges and bananas are eaten before the Little Debbies if they are readily available. Very helpful information!

    ReplyDelete