You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, August 2, 2010

Command Central

We are back from our time in Destin where Ridley spoke on Friday. I continue to be amazed at the opportunities that God provides through his story. Isn't it just like God to allow a pastor to speak in a secular environment where Ridley is often asked not to mention religious views too much and the attendees bring it up? The ripple affect goes for days and weeks later after his visits. It is sweet to watch God.

Typically as we face re-entry to the real world, I start to repeat over and over, "be anxious for nothing". "Be anxious for NOTHING". The picture of my command central flashes before me. Command central is the Barron calendar that hangs in the hall at our back door to the garage. It is a giant wipe off calendar where every Barron family member has an assigned color for their appointments. August is crazy for us. After many prayers about protecting our boundaries, we seem to have a Barron rainbow decorating our month. I need the reminders with my aging memory but the colors just about stress me with every glance. My heart aches with each square that is jammed pack. I pray there is room for Jesus in each one. My time with Jesus and my time to be Jesus to a world that needs Him. My doubt can erupt when I realize I haven't even written in the grocery visits, loads of laundry, toilets that needs to be cleaned, pages of our book to be written or the numerous gas station visits required to meet all the demands.

I do my best to memorize the days by its colors. You have heard of Hooked on Phonics...well I am studying Hooked on Colors. There are some days where I want to grab the massive eraser and wipe it all away. I wish it was that simple. Then there are days when I walk by and someone has added something. It jumps out like a flashing beacon. I want to scream, "Who added something?"

Don't get me wrong. Every color and every appointment represents something or someone important. That is never the question. The question continues to be about our heart's desire to simplify and to live radically for Jesus. I sometimes think Satan's greatest tool is distraction and busyness. The appointments for us this month are necessary. Doctor's visit, school info nights, practices, work meetings, closings, etc. It seems to be a picture of inward focus and all about The Barron's. It's not supposed to be about US!

So as I stood before the command central today, I began to pray. I prayed for God to give me strength....not for a month, not for a week, not even for the day, but for the minute. And just as those colors screamed at me, I heard the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit saying, "Yes, this is the Barron Command Center....follow MY commands." Well, instead of saying, "Yes sir, Father", I asked laughing, "All of them?" I obviously knew the answer. I was laughing to keep from crying.

I then read John 16:33. "But be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." A God that can overcome the world can surely handle The Barron schedule. God does not give us overcoming life. He gives us life as we overcome. The strain IS the strength. Accept the strain. You will get strength. Oswald Chambers says it best; "If you spend yourself out physically, you become exhausted; but spend yourself spiritually, and you get more strength. The temptation is to face difficulties from a common-sense standpoint. The saint is hilarious when he is crushed with difficulties because the thing is so ludicrously impossible to anyone but God."

I needed that today! I was reminded that in between the red, orange, green, blue, pink and black, Jesus found time to get my attention and calm my spirit. He commands me to spend time with Him. He longs for it. He wants to be in the center of every one of those colors and appointments. There is the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment