You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, August 16, 2010

Knock Knock! Whose There?

We have one of those front doors on our house that should just have a sign that says, "Hello World! Come on In". It is a double door with glass from top to bottom. When we first moved in, I saw my dad parked out front one night. I called him on his cell to ask why he wasn't coming in and he responded, "I am watching the game on your t.v."

Many times I have been stuck and wished we had a full wood door. As a realtor, I know that wood plus sun equals lots of maintenance. As a mom, I know glass plus children equals a lot of windex. That isn't what I am referring to when I say I have been stuck. I have found myself playing an adult game of hide and seek several times. There are the times I dart across the foyer to head to the dryer only to find that the rest of my outfit back across the foyer is going to have to wait because somebody is ringing the bell. Then there are the times I have tried to get a jump on my to do list early in the morning only to find myself faxing in my front office when the bell rings. Evaluating my attire and hair, I know I am in no condition to answer the door and greet our church member. There are also those moments I move from hide and seek to a game of dodge ball. You know, the cute girl scout trying to sell me minty sin in a sleeve. I have a hard time saying, "No". How about the unexpected visitor that has a lanyard with a badge and steps three steps back after ringing the bell. This is when I yell, "Honey, it's for you". After all, Ridley does a great job handling our finances.

So it is a Monday and nobody has rung the doorbell yet, but I will confess I am wanting a wood door today. In a brief moment of desperation for some encouragement this morning I opened my Bible to Revelation 3:20. Sometimes I do that. I just flip it open and ask God to love on me. Verse 20 says, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me". Ding dong! "Here I am", He says. Wait Jesus. I am not ready for you yet today. I am still trying to get my big girl panties on. So Jesus laughs and says, "Lisa you need to lose wait. I don't mean those pants make your butt look big. I mean you need to go on and let me in. I am knocking this morning and I can help with the sadness you are feeling."

Jesus isn't about breaking and entering. He knocks on the door of our hearts and He wants us to let Him in. He is patient but persistent. He can see into our hearts anyway. He has his nose pressed on the glass and is watching. He knows this mom is scared about sending one daughter off to college in 11 days and another daughter to her real dad's house to spend the night for the first time since the divorce. That is a whole lot of uncertainty for a protective mommy that has seen people come and go in her life.

Jesus isn't a stranger to me. I have to be intentional about letting Him in. I really don't want to leave His life changing power on the other side of the door. He can handle my morning hair and breath. He can handle my tears and my fears. He is all about makeovers. I need to go let Him in.

1 comment:

  1. Love it...we all need to let Him STAY IN!!! So hard...so many walls and barriers...but when He is in...it is so worth it...Love ya Lisa!

    ReplyDelete