You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Renew NOW!

I have grown to love junk mail. When I grab the folded stack of mail from the mail box, my fingers start flipping. "Junk. Junk. Junk.....YEAH! No bills!" There is a great feeling when you can throw the day's mail all away in the trash. I have even texted Ridley at times to say, "No bills today". One part of the junk mail that always baffles me is my Cooking Light magazine subscription notice. "Renew NOW". Are you kidding me? I thought I just did. That is quickly followed by "Last Notice" then followed by "Final Renewal Offer." I think the magazine companies stalk you the minute your annual subscription starts.

Our church sends daily text messages with scripture. It is usually the same verse each day which has something to do with the upcoming sermon. I love the thought of all our Ridgeview family getting God's Word throughout the day at the same time. God's Word is never a waste. The verse this week is Romans 12:2. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I have pondered on this verse so far this week, a little more than usual. I think it stems from a conversation I had with a new friend this week. The subject of our conversation was the amazing power of Jesus to heal emotional pain. As I listened to the story she shared, I could almost feel the pain in each detail. Her eyes sparkled with hope but there was that hint of hurt that still lingered in her heart. As she bragged on her Jesus, her lips curled into a smile. I was instantly proud of her! Her next statement stuck! She said, "God has done a miracle, but my thought life will never be the same. It just changed me and I have to work so hard to have the right thoughts." Those probably aren't the exact words but I haven't stopped thinking about that way I heard her explain it.

The part of our weekly verse that keeps coming back to me when I think of my friend's statement, is RENEWING! The dictionary defines it as "to begin or start up again. To revive, make new or almost new again." I began digging and the word "mind" is all throughout the Bible. Here are some samples: "Our inner man is being renewed day by day." (2 Cor. 4:16) "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Col. 3:2) I love this one..."inflated without cause by a fleshly mind." (Col. 2:18)
These are just a few. There are many more. I challenge you to study the biblical perspective and warnings about our minds.

Our minds have been programmed with established attitudes. They are our thoughts, opinions, ideas, and beliefs. They were probably formed by how we were raised, our education, our religious training, society (books, tv, movies) and our personal experiences. They permeate with fleshly focus, selfishness, and sinfulness. I know God knew it wouldn't be easy. I know He knew we would struggle with this. His Word confirms it when we read "renew day by day". He knew it would be a daily battle.

God has the kind of power that can take our hurt and our experiences and renew them in the right way. He can teach us how to look at things differently. No, our thought life will never be the same. Thank you Jesus! Let Him flip through your thoughts and throw out the junk mail. His renewal offer is always available and is never a Final Offer. We need it daily and the cool part is that Jesus says, "Guess what? No bills today. It's free."

No comments:

Post a Comment