You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Momma Mary

My morning started with praying, laughing and riding bikes with my hubby. I loved it! As I was on my bike listening to worship music, I started thinking about the baby Jesus. I have tried to be very intentional this week to think about Jesus, the baby and what that night must have been like. The images in my head have been about the sheperds, the wisemen, the gifts, the weather, the stars, and more. However, this morning my thoughts turned to Mary. As a mom, I started trying to understand and grasp the concept of giving birth to Jesus and being able to hold him. What responsibility she must have felt. Can you imagine the fear she might have had wondering about parenting the Saviour?

I know I pray hard to be the kind of mom I need to be for all of my children. This is one area that I can really beat myself up about. I often feel desperate that I get one shot to raise my kids and to raise them right. I mean the Bible says that "children are a reward from the Lord." That is is some serious stuff. So think about Mary. Children are a reward from God and she has the incredible blessing and opportunity to be Jesus' mom?

As I thought about Mary's parenting, I wondered if she often said things to Jesus while He was growing up that we tell our kids. I began to be extremely grateful that she didn't train Him up the way that I have been training mine. Imagine some of these top mom quotes that are spoken to our children and how it would have sounded coming from Mary directly to Jesus.

1. What if she had told Jesus "Don't talk to strangers"?

2. Picture her saying, "As long as you live under my roof, you will do as I say."

3. "Don't let me catch you doing that again".

4. "I don't know. Go ask your father."

5. "I don't buy groceries to feed the entire neighborhood."

6. " Do you think you were raised in a barn"?

7. "Enough is enough!"

8. "You'll understand when you get older."

9. "When you leave, let me know where you are going and what you are doing."

10. "Who died and made you King."


Parenting is tough stuff and yet very rewarding. I suggest we do as Mary probably did. Ask God to show us the kind of parent we need to be for our children. Each child is unique and God made them so, who knows them better? Then, lighten up, laugh a little and realize He can walk us through even some of the toughest momma and daddy stuff. If God instructed Mary on how to raise Jesus, surely He can give us direction on how to handle our own kids. The question is, "Have you asked Him to help you in this area?"

No comments:

Post a Comment