You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, December 3, 2010

Crown Dilemma

I absolutely can't believe what I read this morning as I researched a statement I heard this week. I wanted to see if it was really true. I am trying to muster up the energy to pray, but right now I am mad and disappointed. "Disney Animation will no longer make movies about fairytales and princesses." WHAT? I just knew it had to be a rumor.....but it is not.

Can I tell you how disappointed I am? (as if you haven't figured that out by now). the shocking and sad part is the rest of the statement that was quoted from the studio.
"Plus girls today aren't dreaming about becoming royalty. "By the time they're 5 or 6, [girls are] not interested in being princesses," said media critic Dafna Lemish. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."
Part of the statement prior to this also indicated that princess movies alienate boys. I am scrambling to know where to even start.

Alienating boys? By all means let make sure that we keep score. I mean, ladies should now be invited to the men's bowling night and all men should be invited to a girl's gab night to be sure they feel accepted and loved. Give me a break. Young men need to learn that there is something really sweet when they can mix in a chick flick every now and then. I firmly believe the men have plenty of exposure to the shoot em up, blow em up, rough em up, fly em up, drive em up and fight em up - movies.
I also know that this world, regardless of age, needs more young men and grown men to learn that they need to be princes for their princesses who deserve to be treated like royalty, because they are.

As for the ladies...."by 5 and 6, girls are not interested in being princesses"? I think this is a lie. This 43 year old mom still dreams of being a princess. I can assure you that every time the prince charming comes out in my prince, I get butterflies and my heart still does backflips. Thanks to poor decisions by some of the famous young women, like Miley Cyrus, our little girls are being drawn to a point of thinking "hot" should be included in their vocabulary at the age of 6.

Here is some truth that hurts. If young women and ladies would act like the princesses they were created to be, then we would probably have more princes out there. When I counsel women, I tell them to walk like they have a crown on. That is because they have a heavenly Father that made them and He is the King! A crown requires great confidence, a head held high and a heart that wants to make decisions that line up with wearing a crown. Trash talk doesn't line up with our crowns. Crowns are not pretty accessories with our skimpy attire. They don't shine near as bright if we are flirting, tempting and striving to be HOT. That doesn't attract princes. Every girl deep down inside wants a prince.

So thanks Disney! How sad to have a "if you can't beat them, then join them" mentality. I am sure your next movie about video games and Xbox will be a winner since we sure don't have enough of that in our homes. Let's encourage our young boys to grow up ignoring their families one day while they sit in front of a video game after a long work day. Now that's hot....NOT.
I saw on Facebook yesterday where my cousin posted that her two year old daughter was telling her the story of Sleeping Booty. I laughed at the irony in that statement. There is already enough of that beating down the doors of our kid's brains and hearts.

Here is the good news!!!! 1Samuel 2:8 "He seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor. For the foundations of the earth are the LORD'S; on them He has set the world."

Isaiah 9:6 "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

You can help fight back. You are princesses and princes. Walk like you have a crown on for the whole world to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment