You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

At the Request of My Daughter

On my chilly snow day yesterday, I got to stay home with my family and my Monday was a nice change from the usual frantic start to the week. I didn't realize I would be missing my oldest daughter so much. It is still strange to celebrate some simple things, without her at times. Counting out the hot chocolate mugs minus one is just one example of the little reminders. I try to keep her up to date on what our family is doing so she knows she is still a part. It just isn't the same.

So, I get a message from her around mid morning that says, "You haven't blogged since December 9th and I could really use one of your blogs in the middle of studying for exams." The fact that she still chooses to read my silly blog, makes me smile. So, I sent her a message back and asked her what she wanted to read about in my blog. She responded, "about patience". YUCK! I admit I wished I hadn't asked, but I did. I started praying and thinking about my own perspective on patience. That one word that people often suggest we steer clear of when praying.

Patient.....Interesting that it is the first word used to define love in 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. Honestly, I am not sure in all the times I have read that and heard Ridley quote it at weddings, that I really thought about the order of the words used to define love. It tends to be much easier to lump all the adjectives together almost like a combo deal. That way, I can drown out the patient part with a little more "kindness" or "does not envy". When everything is going our way, patience is easy. The truest test of patience is when things aren't going our way. Some of us think we have a right to get upset in the face of irritations or trials. The Bible actual praises patience as a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) which should be produced by all followers of Christ. I think patience reveals our faith in God's timing and love. (Ouch - that one hurt to type)

I tend to look at patience as this passive waiting. If I am honest, I sometimes approach difficulty with an "I will just ride this out for Jesus' sake" kind of attitude. Then I am quick to pat myself on the back with a "Whew, we made it Jesus." I wonder if Jesus wants to roll His eyes at me and follow through with a "Yeah. We made it, but we are going to have to do it again because you didn't quite get it, silly." Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us” (NKJV).
There is nothing passive about running a race. If you have ever been in a race, you don't passively wait for the slow pokes. You push yourself and endure the pain to do your best. In the Bible, patience is persevering towards a goal, enduring trials, or expectantly waiting for a promise to be fulfilled.

So how do we really get ready for the race? Practice! You keep at it and you tackle the necessary training. God’s power and goodness are crucial parts to the development of patience. Colossians 1:11 tells us that we are strengthened by Him to “great endurance and patience,” while James 1:3-4 encourages us to know that trials are His way of perfecting our patience. Our patience is further developed and strengthened by resting in God’s perfect will and timing, even in the face of evil men who “succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes” (Psalm 37:7).

The very first thing we should do is not question, "Why me?" but we should thank Him. I know! That's a tough one. The next thing we do is seek His purpose. Seeking is not passive either. Seeking means watch for it or go find it during the tough times.
Lastly, we grab a hold of His promises. Romans 8:28, tells us that “ in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” The “all things” include the things that try our patience.

There are so many times that I am running this crazy life race and I get a patience cramp. These are the moments when I want to thank Jesus for being a patient and loving God Himself. I picture Him running alongside of me and saying, "Come on slow poke. I am right here with you. Now, get a move on." He knows what is at the end and He reminds me that some cramps and pain will all be worth it.

So, Morgan...I hope that helps you today. Thanks for being patient with me as I prayed through what to blog. Thank you for challenging me to focus on patience yesterday and super early this morning (3:30 a.m.). I know you have a patience cramp today in the form of a Biology exam but run baby run.....cramp and all. The test really isn't about the Biology. :)

1 comment: