You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

AFTER All

I am not a big pack rat. I used to save lots of things but later found that I was holding on to some of them with a "what if" mentality. What if I might need this one day or what if I need a backup. In the last couple of years I have developed a "less is more" mentality. I usually tackle a project with two trash bags. One for throw away and one for give away. That is the only thing on my kid's to-do list this week of Christmas. It is like a New Year philosophy....out with the old and in with the new.

Something I hang onto tightly are notes, cards, and emails of encouragement. They may be in the form of prayer request, testimonies of what God has done, accountability, support for me, and reminders of how my story has touched someone. Those are just to name a few. I have the note from my pastor when he baptized me. I have notes written to my youngest daughter before she was born. I have notes from my friends that kept me going during difficult times. There are love notes from my husband and kids that can bring me the biggest smile. I could go on and on.

I love to get them back out every now and then and randomly read one. I did that early this morning in the quiet. It was from my sweet, long time friend. Let me set the tone for her encouragement. It was from May 14, 2007. That was two months before I married Ridley. We were married on July 15, 2007. It proved to be a time that I look back to more often than I thought I would. It was a challenging time for me. Most women don't say that when they know they are madly in love with a man and considering marriage. Even though we weren't engaged yet, I knew our relationship was serious and heading in that direction. Neither one of us believed in recreational dating. The challenging part was facing some of the attacks and judgmental attitudes directed at me since i had been married before. I was marrying a pastor. Even in a tolerant world, I quickly learned there was a different standard (in the world's eyes) for pastors. I had to prayerfully consider lots of things.

I realized I needed to pray about more than just marrying this pastor. I prayed about how I could affect his ministry. I prayed about opportunities that Ridley might miss because of my past. I prayed about whether or not he would ever look at me as someone that would hold him back. I prayed that both of us would know without any doubts that marriage was part of God's plan. I am now so grateful that we prayed our hearts out during that time. There have been moments of doubt in our three years of marriage but they are quickly wiped away with the reminder of that season of praying. Have I shared that I firmly believe in prayer?

So, back to my random note for the day. Here are the exact words from my Godly, wise friend during the attacks and challenges:

Here is my tiny, useless bit of advice. You must remember who you are and whose you are! You do not need to justify, explain, nor defend yourself to anyone anymore!! God used Moses to lead his people AFTER he had murdered a man. God still used Abraham AFTER he slept with his handmaiden because he thought God was too slow. God used David AFTER he slept with Bathsheba. God used Jonah AFTER he walked away from his calling. God used Peter AFTER he denied that He was a Christ follower. God IS using you!! There were consequences for each person, as there are for you and me. But, the consequences NEVER prevented God for using the man or woman as he designed. It was because of the sin of the woman at the well that Christ was able to use her for His ministry. Remember, “He who has been forgiven much, loves much.” You and I are in that category. Our sin has given us an even greater love for Him! That is a good consequence! You are a woman who is powerfully filled with the actual Spirit of the living Lord Jesus Christ. You let your mouth be silent and your life speak!! As Romans 8:31 says, “If God is for you, who can be against you.”

Those words blessed me all over again this morning. I pray that her wisdom shared with me in 2007 speaks to you personally today. Please let God be a part of your AFTER. AFTER all, He can do amazing things if we let HIm.

And they lived Joyfully Ever AFTER......

1 comment: