You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

THIS is what it is ALL about!

November is almost over. That is hard to believe! The Barrons are in full gear as we embrace the December calendar and ALL that it has in it. Today is the day I wipe away November on the command center calendar in our house and fill all the December squares up with a color for every Barron member. I am sure I will need some medication afterwards. I admit, I get overwhelmed as I stand in front of the giant wipe off calendar and begin to pray for God to multiply our time.

On Black Friday, Ridley was sweet to get up early with me, his sisters and brother-in-law as we tackled some potential deals. This was hard for me because I am weak. I usually don't go shopping because I don't trust my wants or my willpower. After cruising about 3 aisles, I was ready to redecorate my house, add another Christmas tree, and increase my gift list by adding everybody including my checkout girl at Publix. I felt myself desiring to get out of control. Ridley saved me! He whispered "Ermias" in my ear several times. Ermias is one of the Compassion International children in Ethiopia that we support. That name would jerk me back into reality quickly.

As soon as we got back in town and our suitcases were unpacked, we began to pull/throw the decorations down from the attic. My "simplify" mentality was easier to maintain while decorating versus shopping. We only put one tree up and decided to donate the second one we usually put up. It is fun for me to take the decorations out of their wrapping or box each year. So many things have memories. There are snowmen that people have given me, a new gingerbread girl and boy that my parents surprised me with last year, and handmade craft projects from our kids. This year, one set of decorations got a new place in our house. As I unwrapped them, the memories brought tears to my eyes.

Three little, gold crown candle holders rolled out of their tissue paper wrapping as the memories rolled from my heart. Years ago, I planned a Christmas luncheon for my closest friends to thank them for the blessing they were (and still are) to me. We continued the tradition for several years and it became my favorite time of the entire year. We met at fancy tea rooms and captured the true meaning of the Christmas season. Each year I gave a candle to them to light with their families on Christmas morning before opening any gifts. It was a reminder to stop and pause with grateful hearts for the ultimate gift. Those luncheons were full of sweet prayers, conversation, tears, laughter and even beautiful singing. I can still hear one friend's laugh, one friend's voice that led us in song, and one friend's sobs as we soaked in the sweetest moments.

I would love to tell you I saved every candle. I now wish I had. As I held those three gold crown candle holders all decked out in sparkly colored jewels, I thought about the three wise men and that night. I thought about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I thought about my three marriages and the gift of "do overs" from a loving Father. I put them right in our family room and plan to light them this year with my family.

So as I get ready to "face" my December calendar today, I am mindful that it is the memories of family, friends, love and time with those special people that matter. I want December to be a party of celebrating Jesus!!!! We should be excited about this time of year and truly celebrate that He is a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment