You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The bulb is bright!

You may have heard bits and pieces of my story on this blog, at one of my speaking events, or in a casual conversation. I love for people to ask me questions. It gives me a chance to brag on what God has done through the really tough times and through the really cool times. A lot of people want to know how Ridley and I met. It was a total God thing. A friend had told me about his tragedy and a little bit about his story. I found out I lived near Ridley at the time, and began to pray for his single dad days every time I drove by his house. I never saw him. Throughout the next 3 years, I continued to keep Ridley and his kids on my prayer list. I then had the chance to go on a blind date with him. This was orchestrated by his sister and brother in law.....and God.

One of my absolute favorite parts (now) is when dinner was over. We were leaving the restaurant and there were two other couples. Who do I ride with? Do I ride with the couple I came with or do I assume I am riding with him? Yuck! I should have stayed home and read a book first on how to date at this age. Then, as if he almost felt he had to, Ridley asked if I wanted to ride with him. I was relieved to not have to decide myself. He opened the door for me and I had a few moments to regain composure while he walked to the other side of the truck. Now comes the conversation. Dinner conversation had not been easy. As we made our way to his sister's house for dessert, the conversation was much more my style. Ridley immediately admitted that he hated dating. He was honest and open about who he was and what was important to him. He told me he wished God would just put a light bulb over the head of the woman he was supposed to marry because he loved being married. In that moment, I heard my inner voice say, "Pick me". What was I thinking? I didn't think I would ever marry again. I was shocked at myself but his honesty and ability to just talk to me was refreshing. The rest of the night went great. I didn't let him far into my door and I didn't want him to kiss me, but when he asked if he could pray for me, I fell into his arms and felt safe. To hear this man pray for me, I just knew God had sent me someone special.

So, two dates later, it was Valentine's Day and we were going out. I had wrapped my box and stood ready for the doorbell to ring. When my handsome date came in, the look on his face after noticing my box, was sheer horror. I later found out that Ridley was concerned that my shirt box with a possible sweater inside, was a little premature. He had tried to decide whether to buy me a gift or not. He decided against it. No big deal. I didn't get him a sweater. I found out early on that he loved chocolate, so I filled the shirt box with Treasures candies. Inside was a small note with the verse from Matthew 6:21 "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also". Then right smack dab in the center of the box was a 100 watt light bulb with the 100 circled.
The gift made him a nervous wreck. I bet he wished it was a sweater at that point.

Recently, I came across that light bulb. Ridley had made some additions with the Sharpie. He had written the date on the bulb and saved it.

When bills, crazy schedules, laundry, job demands, and routine set in, it can make the light a little dim. I can easily find myself wishing we were back to those exciting dating days. However, I can tell you when I get my thoughts right and focus on the fact that I get to have lots of those conversations like in his truck that first night or I get to hear him pray over me all the time, I am grateful. When I know he is going to call to say he is on his way home and I don't have to wonder when he is going to call next, I am grateful. When I realized the light bulb meant enough to save it, I am grateful. When he tells me I am beautiful with my morning hair, I am grateful. When he works hard for our family and our church, I am grateful. When he realizes Jesus did a super cool thing by bringing us together and he fights for our marriage, I am grateful.

Sometimes I just need to turn the light up brighter so I can see things better. The bulb is bright. I love Ridley Barron.

No comments:

Post a Comment