You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Thursday, February 10, 2011

This One Is For The Guys

I know I have some guy readers and I love that. One friend recently told me that he reads so he can better understand a female perspective on some things. It blessed me that he invests time like that for his wife. Then I got a little nervous that my crazy perspective on things is one of his resources. His wife is a dear friend of mine. I want it to stay that way! Even though this post is for the men, I give women permission to forward it to their men. (I will take the blame).

Gift giving can be stressful for the guys so I thought I would use my blog to help you guys out. The pressure is on when Valentine's Day rolls around. Your ladies may say, "Oh, you don't need to do anything." They are lying. I think we do that because we know the pressure you face and how much you thoroughly enjoy that last minute shopping at CVS as you stand elbow to elbow in the card section with very little left to pick from. If you find a card, then finding the matching envelope becomes an obstacle. Skip the card, the candy and the stuffed animal. You can stay home and give the best gift ever. I promise!

Here are a few ideas. All you have to do is pick one.

1. Make a handmade card. It doesn't have to have cut out hearts. One of my very favorite cards from Ridley was a handwritten note with red ink on lined notebook paper. He wrote about some of his favorite memories we have had so far and told me all the things (little things) he loved about me. I still have it and pull it out on the tough days to read it.

2. Take her to her favorite restaurant or make her a simple dinner at home. Either way, ditch the kids and the cell phone. The meal doesn't have to be fancy because girls are all about the thought that goes into something. Campbell's soup with a candle and NO distractions has been one of my favorite dinners.

3. Play boardgames or cards by candlelight while sharing her favorite dessert. Be silly. Laugh. Life is full of enough heavy stuff.

4. Plan a scavenger hunt around the house for things that trigger great memories. Make up your own clues and use your past memories or inside jokes as the motivation for the clues.

5. Whether you have been married 2 years or 22 years, every woman wants to know that she is still the one who makes your heart pop out. Use LOTS of words and be gushy. Look her in the eye....not at ESPN. It's one day!

6. On Sunday, take her by the hand and lead her to the alter at your church to pray. Most women I talk to want their husbands to lead them spiritually. Don't worry about what to pray. She isn't going to remember all the words you pray because her heart will be beating too loud.

7. Leave a love note in her car on a post it. Surprise her with lunch at the office. Recreate parts of your first date at home.

8. One of my favorite things is when Ridley comes home and says he left his computer at the office. With all the distractions of work, bills, kids, and to do list, there is nothing like feeling like the number one priority.

9. If you just love to buy gifts, then buy things that aren't customary. Buy things that you know she loves and will be surprised that you know about her. Her favorite music, magazine, gum, ice cream flavor, nail polish color etc. It doesn't have to be expensive.

10. Give the gift of change. All of us have things we can change for the better about ourselves to make our relationships stronger. Put pride aside and really commit to change something that will really bless her. Don't just change it for a day. Wrap up a note telling her what you are going to change and pray to work hard at it. It may be a small change but it will make a big difference.

Ladies, be appreciative and gushy right back. It may not be your absolute favorite gift ever, but recognize the heart behind it. Make a big deal about it. Look at the gift you have in your guy that you are blessed with every day. Don't live or love for the next big event. Learn to really cherish the everyday little things and the commitment. And if he happens to pick one of my ten ideas mentioned above, don't fuss at him for reading and using someone elses ideas. Thank him for investing the time to learn more about you and give him a big SMOOCH!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa, great blog,,,,,again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, this is awesome! I'm sure you will help so many with this!

    ReplyDelete