You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, February 14, 2011

Say It Isn't So

I will be the first to say, "It isn't so".

It is Valentine's Day....the day of love. As a kid growing up, I loved this day. My daddy was my first valentine and I looked forward to his love and sweet surprises. As an adult, it was one of my least favorite holidays. The wonderful image of love I had dreamed about was shattered by reality and heart ache as I got older. Then as I fell more in love with Jesus, I realized how commercialized this holiday really was. Don't think that I am a cupid-day party pooper. I love to tell people how much I love them and I love to extend the little surprises to my own family just like my dad did.

My youngest daughter, Landon, looked at me the other day while having a "guy" talk with her and Abby, and she asked, "Are you getting ready to tell us to guard our hearts again?" I smiled and said, "Yes. I can't tell you how important it is to protect it until God is ready for you to give it away." "Besides, remember, Jesus is the best boyfriend you will ever have." The conversation ended with an, "I know mom". I feel like one of those employees that work behind the counter with the protective eye gear as they monogram gifts. I pray that with every conversation with my kids, I am etching these truths into their heart.

Valentine's Day is a day that I always pray hardest for my single friends. The whole promotion of this holiday oozes with having a special someone. Hallmark's yearly velcro buddies, the heart necklace where he wears half and she wears the other, and the extra row of cards and flowers in every grocery store. Pink and red are everywhere as flashing billboards reminding some people of loneliness and hurt. So for my single friends, I say again, "It isn't so." It isn't the way the world portrays it. There is a deeper love. A real love. A never-ending, never disappointing love that is much bigger than anything Valentine's Day is about. It is all about Jesus and it is a love worth celebrating every day. God has given you flowers every day in His creation and offers a sweetness that can't be experienced through Whitman or Russell Stover. Let me tell you about the jewels that you will have in your crown in heaven one day if you fall madly in love with Him. Talk about some bling!

Here are some wives' tales the world falls for:

1. When sleeping under a new blanket, make a wish for new love and you will meet him the following afternoon.

2. If a girl, but only on the first of May, looks sideways into a mirror on first waking up, may see the image of her future husband.

3. A bride who sews her own dress will have a life of luck.

4. If a bird flies into a house, it is bad luck. Unless there are two birds, then a wedding in the family is coming up.

Ok, If you think falling in love with Jesus sounds crazy, reread number one through four again. I have been studying and reflecting on a verse this past week in 1Timothy Chapter 4. It says in verse 7, "Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be Godly."

What I love about that verse is when it says to "train yourself". That is a reminder that it isn't going to be easy or natural, but that we have to work at it. We have to work at resisting the teachings of the world even when it comes to love. We have to train to love God first and with all of our heart so that we can love others the way He wants us to. We have to train to etch His truths on our hearts so that on a day like today, we can eat chocolate and celebrate that Jesus loves us best!

Guess what? IT ISN'T SO and I have to say (heart ache and all) I am really glad it isn't.

1 comment:

  1. There should just be an "Amen" button at the end of your blog posts so I don't have to keep writing replies that just say...
    Amen! :)

    ReplyDelete