You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pom-Poms and Praises

Are you kidding me? That is how I responded the other day when a friend said, "You must have been a cheerleader in school." I busted out laughing. I thought about my school memories of wanting to be accepted, to fit in, to be popular. Honestly, it made me cringe a bit. I couldn't do a cartwheel. I didn't initiate new fashion. I was late in blooming and late to wear makeup. I was picked close to last in dodge ball and watched my friends with a tad of envy. I had great friends, a great family and lots of great memories but some of those comparison moments stick! The world can make us feel inadequate.

I am a big girl now and I wish I had known then what I know now. I wish I had fully understood where my value and worth came from. I wish I had understood the concept of God's plan just for Lisa and how much love He puts into the things He creates. As an adult, I still have amazing friends, the most awesome family and I am making great memories. There are still those times I catch myself comparing and feeling inadequate, but I trap the crap and remember the truth. God doesn't make any mistakes....with any of us!

At forty three, I am a daughter of a loving King, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister and a friend. I still don't initiate new fashion. I might be the first to dig something old out of the closet and bring it back into fashion while embarrassing my kids. I am lucky if I get makeup on sometimes and it is usually while pulling out of the garage as I taxi to the next stop. I would probably still be picked close to last in dodge ball but I would be laughing instead of being envious. I still can't do a cartwheel but I am finally a cheerleader.

The more I talk to people, the more I hear that they need people rooting for them. I am training myself to listen. I listen for the small victories and the opportunities to pull out my pom-poms and cheer them on. I just barely get my spirit fingers shaking and the look in their eyes is one of shock. Many respond with, "No one has ever thanked me for that" or "Usually no one notices". I then share my look of shock with them as my heart breaks. A lot of times these are people I have just met and have only heard a summary of their story. It makes me wonder about the people in their everyday life. I wonder where their pom-poms are. My guess is those cheerleaders have either quit listening for the small victories or they have a mirror in front of them, blocking their view of their team mate, as they admire their own qualities.

God is pretty clear all through the Bible on using our pom-poms and praises. Proverbs is full of how important it is. Proverbs 12:25 says, "Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up." How about Proverbs 15:15? "All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast." Proverbs 17:22... "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."

Encouragement can go a long way and keep all of us moving in the right direction with the right thoughts. As I dust off some pom-poms and practice my cheers, I encourage you to do the same. Make sure you keep doing it for the people in your huddle, but be sure to leave room for new people on your team. Jesus is rooting for all of us, but it is a lot louder and more effective when we all join in with one voice and one goal to spread love.

"Two, Four, Six, Eight!" *shake*shake* "We've got Spirit" *shake*shake* herkie * no cartwheel. VICTORY!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome as usual! Thank you so much for always sharing honestly...

    ReplyDelete