You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Then Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage...

I think every married couple should attend a wedding once a month. Think about it. A free date where you dress up, everybody's happy, and you get good, free food. I was reminded of so many things last night while attending a rehearsal that Ridley was leading.

The first thing, I admit, was that I felt old and the bride and groom looked way too young to be getting married. Funny how I was old enough when I was their age.

Second, I was reminded that my anniversary is about 20 days away. Three years of being married to the most amazing man! I call him My Amazing and last night I thought about all the things we have crammed into three years of marriage. Lots of great stuff and even some not so great stuff but I chuckled at the thought that God must be making up for lost time with us.

I was reminded of how much I admire my husband. I love him bunches but I truly admire him. As I listened to his prayer last night, he was not only praying for that bride and groom, but for their entire marriage. His respect and compassion for their special day, family and friends was so evident. He knows how to walk into a room of strangers and make everyone feel special.
His smile lights up a room and this girl still melts when her husband looks at her across the room, winks and makes her feel like the only person there.

I was reminded how important it is for a man and woman to let God do His thing. To wait on Him to find the right person. To allow Him to be in the center of everything your marriage is about. To obey Him so He can show off through what He joined together. I reflected on the weddings and the marriages I have been a part of that didn't have anything to do with God. I realized I didn't even invite Him. The ceremonies were beautiful and sweet but I didn't let God do His thing. However, when I did let Him do His thing - WOW! The ceremony was simple but one of the sweetest moments in my life because I allowed God to be a part of everything that led up to that day. The day I became Mrs. Barron, I felt God love all over me.

I then was reminded of our children. I began to picture their wedding days. I instantly began praying for them as I often do. Ridley and I pray for all their future spouses. I began to pray for all that would be involved on those special days. With blended families, special events can be a bit more complicated. I am not sure I have ever prayed for that particular part of their future until last night. I prayed for Harrison and thought about whether Ridley would be the best man or the preacher. By that point, I was in my own world reflecting and praying.

Last night was sweet for me. Those moments to sit and forget about bills, jobs, laundry, etc. It was sweet to ride to dinner in the truck laughing and remembering. I wouldn't trade the last three years for anything. I wish time would slow down....selfishly.
In my quiet time this morning I read a sweet verse from The Message that depicted my thoughts last night.

Love is invincible facing danger and death.
Passion laughs at the terrors of hell.
The fire of love stops at nothing—
it sweeps everything before it.
Flood waters can't drown love,
torrents of rain can't put it out.
Love can't be bought, love can't be sold.

Song of Solomon 8: 6-8

1 comment:

  1. This is VERY sweet and I love it!
    I still fully expect to see those Ridley-in-preacher-robe photos!

    ReplyDelete