You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, September 17, 2010

Laugh at things to come

I remember sitting in my sunroom on New Year's Day in 2007. I was reading my Bible about the Proverbs 31 woman. That day, I focused on the verse that talks about "laughing at things to come". (Proverbs 31:25) At that point, I had shed a whole lot of tears in my life. I was encouraged that my laughing days were ahead. Little did I know I was about to meet Ridley Barron and soon become a pastor's wife. If God had told me that on New Year's Day in 2007, I would have just gone on and laughed right then. See? God has a sense of humor too.

Yesterday, I sat on a bench in downtown Franklin, eating pumpkin yogurt and laughing with a dear friend. I couldn't help but think of that verse and that promise in 2007. We happened to be talking about getting older. It was only appropriate as I am approaching my 43rd birthday this weekend. We were laughing at the things that are so funny as you face and embrace getting older.

Earlier in the week, I was running errands after school and my daughter, Landon was the only one who wanted to go with me. As we talked about my birthday she informed me that I was not old. She looked at me and smiled the cutest smile as she said, "You have braces. That makes you look younger." Before I could comment, she continued with, "Besides, you don't have a smell yet." She was holding my hand and patting the back of it. I was waiting for a chuckle from her but as I glanced over at her, I could tell she was serious. I asked, "What?". Landon followed up with, "You know....an old person smell. What did your Poppie smell like?" Poppie was my grandfather that I was very close to. I told her I wasn't sure, but I knew Poppie was smelling pretty with Jesus.

Then one day as my family was all hovering around the kitchen, I heard Landon say, "Yes ma'am." I corrected her and said, "Yes SIR." She said, "What?". Ridley quickly jumped in and said, "Baby, you asked the question a minute ago." I was shocked. I was sure I had heard him ask Landon the question. We started laughing, as I demanded an explanation for how that happens.

So I know I am working my way to a point where I will need lip liner to remember where to color in the lines. I am moving from M, T, W, TH, F, Sat, Sun little girl panties to pill boxes with the days of the week. I am reflecting on "back in the days" when high school cheerleaders had to have flexibility and not just some spirit fingers. I understand that I am moving from the days of buying my bra in a bin to buying it in a box and I soon will only have 2 color options. I am already at the point where a traffic light needs to be installed on the way to the bathroom for in the middle of the night as I pass my hubby.
It is all part of it! I am doing my best to laugh at what is next. I refuse to swipe the Sweet N Low from restaurants or wrap the left over rolls in a napkin to take home.

I seriously am excited that my birthdays now have great memories. Special days and holidays used to be awful for me so I welcome the jokes from my family and I celebrate that I don't have a smell.....yet.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 7 years ahead of you!! I will wear lots of perfume!! ha!!

    ReplyDelete