You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Monday, September 20, 2010

Purpose in the little things

Happy Monday! In my house we start the week out by saying, "No yucky Monday!" I had a great birthday weekend. It doesn't get any better than to have my birthday fall on a Sunday. I got to worship with my incredible church family and I got to hear this really amazing and handsome pastor preach. I did think it was funny that he preached on depression for my birthday (which was planned 6 months in advance). I had no problem claiming the truth, "It's not about me". Sometimes, I have a hard time reminding myself of that in the everyday little things.

This week starts the busy speaking season for Ridley. They are exciting times and exhausting times. Being on the road can wear you out a bit and reliving the painful loss of Joshua can take its toll on Ridley. I pray so hard for him during these times, but we both know, "It's not about us". There was one time in Arizona that we were sooooo reminded of this fact. Ridley steps into a secular work world and it oftentimes received as "just another continuing education" guy....at first. When the attendees realize he is the face of a victim and not just another deliverer of charts and statistics, you can watch Jesus show off. Keep in mind, most of the time the facility that has invited Ridley, has noted that he is a pastor so they often ask him to keep his faith on the down low. No worries....someone in the room usually brings it up for him during the question and answer time. It is amazing.

This one time in Arizona, the media guy that was scheduled to video Ridley, could not be there at the last minute so they called in their backup guy. After the event was over, the man behind the camera approached Ridley and thanked him. He had written a suicide letter before getting the phone call to come into work. He had plans to go home and kill himself. God had a different plan.

Can I admit there are times we don't want to live out of a suitcase or deal with airport junk. There are times we don't want to get out of the hotel bed and face the story again. It is hard for Ridley to tell and it is hard for me to watch him hurt. It is NOT about us.

Yesterday, I was reminded of the choices we make and how important they are. Yes, I am stating the obvious but when they can affect so many other people, are we remembering that it REALLY isn't about us? It is about what God wants to do with us! A couple of weeks ago, Ridley came home and told me about a young boy in school, who needed a mentor. Ridley wanted to pray to see if he should step up to the request. As the Godly wife I am, I questioned it. "Are you sure?"... "I mean you are really busy"...."Isn't there someone else, maybe?" "But what about our simplify goal?" "But...But...But"
After praying together a couple of times, God said, "Lisa, your big But is getting in my way". I was reminded that we just sent one daughter to college and we would have Joshua today if he had survived the mistake at the hospital. After praying together one day, Ridley told me he thought he should invest in this boy. He lives with his mom who is a single parent and his relationship with his father is not a healthy one. Ridley reminded me that Joshua's middle name was the same as this young man.

Ridley visits his new friend at school a couple of times during the week. It seems that this student is typically in trouble when Ridley arrives but when I hear the play by play of their time together, I know God is up to something. This boy needs to know he is special and that somebody believes in him. I got the awesome chance to meet the mom yesterday at church. She was visiting for the first time and through tears she shared some of her difficulties. Through my own tears, I got to explain that the time Ridley gets to spend with her son is a blessing for him too. She did not know Ridley had lost his own son. It was a sweet moment between two mommas that didn't know each other at all.

Proverbs 19:21... "Many are the plans in a man's heart, BUT it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." I assure you there are so many times I have all the plans in my heart and although they make sense to me, it is the Lord's purpose I really want to live for. It just can not be about us....me. In the end, when we do the uncomfortable, tiring things that aren't about us, we end up receiving the blessing of watching God's purpose. Make a decision today like it affects someone else because it probably does.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet, my friend!
    Super glad you got to talk with that momma at church! I am sure it's nice to hear something positive about her son when she probably only hears negative all the time. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete