You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Game on!

Yesterday I got in the car to head out to work and I continued my conversation with Jesus while driving. I was quick to tell Him I just didn't feel like walking in the Spirit so I was just going to walk in the flesh for the day. The day had already beaten me up and it was only 9:00 a.m. I was having a pity party prayer. As I thought about walking in the flesh vs. walking in the Spirit, I thought about my toes crammed in my high heels for the day. See? I didn't even have the right shoes for walking in the Spirit. I joked around in my thoughts as I told God I didn't own a pair of Easy Spirits. He quickly reminded me to put on my shoes of peace. (Ephesians 6: 10-17). I tried to picture what those might look like and if they would match my business suit. I pictured cleats! The shoe that will allow you to dig in and tackle anything.

That took me to thoughts of football season. It is right around the corner and this girl loves football! I grew up learning and loving the game. As I have gotten older, I love the sport in general. I have my teams I like and the ones I really don't like. I instantly became a Georgia Bulldog fan, of course, when I married Ridley. He jokes that my red and black attire on our first date was a sign from God.

I remember hooking up my Direct TV at my new house shortly after the divorce. I had requested the Extended Game Day Package. The installer read the order and looked at me as he said, "You are a really good wife." I quickly corrected him to say that I was not married. He then replied, "You are every man's dream". He got the not-so-nice look from me that most men got during my healing season. I share this simply to say, I LOVE football.

So yesterday, as I listened to my coach (Jesus), I thought about my team attitude. If God is for us, who can be against us..right?
I pictured Jesus sitting in this huge stadium and cheering for me. I pictured how He promises to stay to the very end of the game and even if I was the only one playing, He would be there to encourage me. My thoughts wandered to all the roles He plays on my team. Think about it!

He is the best REFEREE. He took the penalty for us when He died for our sins. (Romans 5:6-8)

He is the best DEFENSE. "We have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ. (1John 2:1)

He can help us ADVANCE. "With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall." (Psalm 18:29)

He is the best GUARD. "And the peace of God, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

He has the greatest STRATEGY. "The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." (Proverbs 28:1)

He works the sidelines and moves the CHAINS. "To loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free." (Isaiah 58:6)

FIRST AND TEN! We give him 10% of our 1st fruits, He blesses our hard work. (Deuteronomy 14: 22-28)

He is the only Teacher and COACH we need. "for you have one Teacher, the Christ." (Matthew 23:10)

He makes us WINNERS. "I press on toward the GOAL to WIN the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 3:14)


I felt like I was in the fourth quarter all day yesterday. The game of life had me out of breath and I was feeling the hurt early, longing for the locker room. However, I decided if Jesus is willing to be all those things for me and cheer me on, then I should play with all my heart. I decided the shoes of peace may not match my outfit but I wasn't a quitter. Think about this....We have to be out on the field, so why not choose to be on His team. I can assure you, you don't want to play against Him.

He's wearing your jersey. He believes in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment