You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Taste Test

I have friends that LOVE their mani-pedis. It took me a while to understand they were a manicure and a pedicure at the same time. At first I thought it might be something I would see on Man vs. Wild. For most, it is a time of pampering and relaxation. Although I admit the finished product looks very nice, they stress me. I usually can't understand the conversation with my "nail artist" and then every minute I am sitting still, is a minute ticking away from my "to do" list. Nearby is my cell phone buzzing with every polish stroke and by the time I make it to the car, I can assure you I have hit one of the nails, instantly creating a flaw. I am not relaxed at that point! So for me, relaxation is a lifey-wholey. In my town, the Lifeway Christian Bookstore is right next to Whole Foods.

Monday, I started my week off with a field trip. A close friend of mine agreed to meet me at Lifeway to check out some books. We had a goal in mind but didn't exactly know what we were looking for. Ahhhh, an excuse to peruse each aisle...slowly. Then we were heading to Whole Foods for lunch. Now this is how you start a Monday! As I entered the store, the friendly clerk extended the usual greeting, "Welcome to Lifeway". I wanted to scream, "Shhhhh. I have entered the therapy zone." My eyes were jumping from books to their new Christmas items. We settled into an aisle and began flipping. As we narrowed down the search to 5 books, we headed to the big comfy leather chairs. It was decision making time. "No.....I don't think so.....Maybe.....Yikes!" My friend turned and gave me a questionable look. I had just read a few lines in the last book and closed it quickly. I then explained that I had picked the page with some challenging stuff and I didn't want it "to get on me" until we decided if that was the book. After we laughed, we obviously knew that was the book.

We made the very short trip next door to Whole Foods. Ahhhh, again. My organ's just feel healthier when I walk in the place. We made a dash to the lunch buffet. Colors and smells jumped on my plate. There are usually some traditional things and then some crazy things. My family has been sweet to adapt to healthier versions of mac n' cheese but some of the crazy stuff is too much to ask. So I go crazy for the crazies. Tofu has been a recent taste test for me. It doesn't look appealing at all but has huge nutritional benefits. I like some versions of it and my daughter, Morgan even tried the fried tofu before heading to college and admitted it tasted just like chicken.

After leaving my lifey-wholey with my buddy, I thought about Jesus. Now am I sure you are asking how comfy leather chairs and tofu get me to Jesus thoughts. Well, I am glad you asked. We live in a world that is way too comfortable in our "safe places".
Or are we really? I think we long for something more but are never willing to take the steps of something different....better for us. So, we choose to stay in our safe spot and settle for comfort over satisfying our longings. We judge a book by its cover (so to speak) and never dive in to really experience the truth. We settle for someone else's suggestion or opinion instead of finding out for ourselves. We stay away from the things that don't look too good even though we know there are great benefits for us if we just branch out.

I don't know anyone who doesn't want more hope, peace, love, purpose or satisfaction in their life. Sit down in a big comfy chair and open God's Word for yourself. Whether it is the first time for you or you read it regularly, go way beyond the cover. Don't judge Jesus based on what you have heard or read somewhere else. Read it yourself straight from the source. It is ok if it gets on you. It may not seem appealing at first, but take the advise of Psalm 34:8..."Taste and see that the Lord is GOOD".

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT is therapy! I love both stores and agree...it's like a big "ahhh!" to just have some time to browse!
    So what book did you get? ;)

    ReplyDelete