You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence... Psalm 16:11

Friday, March 18, 2011

Tough Questions - Real Answers #4-Harrison


Harrison is our sixteen year old son. He has started driving recently and just got his first job at Chic-fil-a . Harrison is handsome, smart and loves his sports. He loves both sides of the bench....playing and being a fan. He just got his second vuvuzela and he is driving his sisters crazy!!!!

Question: On a scale of one to ten, how happy are you?

Harrison: Eight

Question: What would it take to get you to ten?

Harrison: Hmmmm. Probably get my grades up a little more and get better at saving my money. A girlfriend would help too.

Question: Ok, I have to ask this one because we hear "Poor Harrison" quite a bit. Is it tough having all sisters and what are the advantages?

Harrison: Yes. It is tough knowing that whenever I get bored there isn't like, a little brother to throw the baseball with. The advantages are I am more educated on how girls act so that should help when I have a girlfriend. Big sisters are easier because she has been through things I am going through and if I need to ask a question, she has dealt with it before.

Question: You have just started driving. Does it make you think different after your family has been involved in a tragic car accident?

Harrison: No. Not really. I don't think about it that much.

Question: What do you remember about the wreck?

Harrison: I know we were coming home from vacation at Hilton Head. We were pretty close to home, we got hit by a truck. I remember we were watching Finding Nemo. I don't remember anything until the part when I was at the hospital.

Question: Do you remember how you felt (at nine years old) or the questions you asked when you heard about your mom and then four days later heard about Josh?

Harrison: Whenever I woke up at the hospital, they let me go into dad's room and he told me mom didn't make it. I remember crying. I don't remember much else. I think I fell asleep or blacked out. I don't remember a whole lot about Josh. I remember dad and aunt Tonda coming home one day and they were crying. I asked why they were crying and dad sat me down in his lap and told me what happened to Josh.

Question: When do you think about them the most?

Harrison: To be honest, in the last couple years, I haven't thought about them that much. I did for the first couple of years.

Question: Why do you think that is?

Harrison: I try not to think about it because it brings up sad feelings. I was so young so I just don't remember very much about the random things.

Question: What was the hardest part in adjusting to only having a dad?

Harrison: We had to get used to his cooking. I remember how every morning my mom would take me to school so then I had to get used to dad taking us to school. It was just different.

Question: How did you feel when he started dating?

Harrison: Ummmm. I was kind of excited because then there was someone other than dad that I could kind of treat like a mom while they were dating.

Question: So, how has it been swirling a family?

Harrison: There are a lot of annoying parts. That is what you have to do to get acquainted to your new siblings because that isn't normal for a lot of people to do. I had to adjust to having three sisters instead of one.

Question: Do you like having a bigger family or do you sometimes wish it was still just you, Abby and dad?

Harrison: I would rather have a mom than just have the three of us.

Question: Has it been hard to adjust to a new mom?

Harrison: Yes. my real mom and dad would let me eat whatever, but I wouldn't want to be overweight. You are more strict than my mom was. I think it is mostly because you are having to deal with a teenager and she didn't.

Question: What advice would you give to someone who is just blending a new family?

Harrison: Just like anything else, if it gets tough, you can't give up. You just have to deal with it. Like in baseball, if you are losing by five and the game is only half over....the game isn't over. It can get better.

Question: What is your favorite memory of our family in the last three and a half years?

Harrison: It was the time that we went to the beach and all stayed in that big house with The Solomons.

Question: Did the accident make you angry at God?

Harrison: (big sigh). A little right after but at the time I was still young so I knew who God was, but I didn't fully understand how He picks things to happen and why.

Question: What is your relationship with Christ like now?

Harrison: I think going through all that made my relationship better. I am thankful for what I still had and He didn't take everything away. It did make me closer to Him.

Question: Do you have any big fears?

Harrison: Getting through college is a fear. I can be a procrastinator.

Question: For teenage guys the whole relationship with Jesus can sometimes be perceived as "not cool". What do you have to say to that?

Harrison: I worry a little bit at times what my friends think, but I do have a lot of Christian friends. Our life now really doesn't matter as much as what happens later in our life, so that is what I would tell them and I don't think it is something to worry too much about.

Question: Do you know I love you?

Harrison: Yes ma'am.

Me: Thanks Harry bug (that is what I call him) for being honest and sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment